JONATHAN SEARY DEVELOPMENT


www.jonathanseary.com
message
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

3.16.2011

FACILITY FOR THOUGHT

I have been thinking of ways of refining the ideas I have had about the IS IT ART work and for a starting point I have changed the title to FACILITY FOR THOUGHT this is because the work I am producing is all about making people think about things they wouldn't else wise, the end product is a facility or a catalyst for this thought process.

So for the work I have chosen to go down the path of a sticker, that can be attached to anything that one would perceive to be of interest. This means if I place any words on it this become my idea, and takes away from them being able to voice their opinion. I want to be able to give the option of either saying what they think but also if they just want to make a statement this will also be possible.

I was talking to my Bahia today about it all, thinking she would be a good person to talk to about the work, because she is nothing herself, and it seemed as if she had very similar ideas to what I am trying to express. It was good to be able to talk to someone who is not tied into graphic design. We both agreed that art should be in the eye of the beholder, and that if a message needed to be given it is about the function of that message and not the form of how it comes. Very interesting stuff but also very confusing, however I think I have cleared my mind a bit about what direction I am heading with the work, which is a nice thing.

I am now coming up with some new ideas that have evolved from my initial ideas I had about the project, after thinking this brief was good to last only a day it was quite a surprise to me that I'm still doing it, however it is a lot broader subject than I imagined and I feel it necessary to give it the time it deserves.