JONATHAN SEARY DEVELOPMENT


www.jonathanseary.com
message
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

3.13.2011

SJ CRIT - 11/03/11

PhotobucketFriday was the day of my first crit after the mid term assessments. It was a chance to get some new ideas on the table and discuss what was going to happen next. the idea that I was mainly talking about was the 'is it art' brief that I have come up for myself. I explained to the group what I wanted to do... and explained my motives for why I wanted to do it. We then spoke about ways of going about it.

Sadnha was telling me about a project she saw that was at the Tate a while ago, in which a design company took over the education/outreach programme at the Tate for a day, in which they set a brief to young school children. It basically involved the kids into thinking about the art they saw and what they thinks constitutes something being called a piece of art. The design company said to the children, you need to make a set of rules for piece of art, and then they had to walk around the gallery and decide what 'art' they thought broke the rules that they had made, and why it had. This in turn made the kids think about the art, and what makes it art, making them take in their surroundings and build up an integral part of their learning.

After the crit I actually went down to the Tate to meet my mum, where we sat and had a drink on the top floor. It was a friday afternoon, so was pretty busy with school trips on the lower floors, with alot of the kids just amazed, confused and excited about the work and being in such an amazing space. We spoke about taking the project to another level and actually speaking to the outlook programme at the tate and seeing if they would help or like to get involved in some way, so I will be emailing them first thing tomorrow.