JONATHAN SEARY DEVELOPMENT


www.jonathanseary.com
message
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

4.27.2011

THE CRAWL OF HACKNEY - VIVIAN HENDERSON

PhotobucketFor the next section of the new instalment of the modern gentleman newspaper I have been looking at Gentlemen's Clubs throughout London, however I had five clubs in mind but changed them at the last minute so that they are all in hackney. I did this after looking at some articles I found the other day... I Found out that the borough of Hackney has had a ban put across it so that no more 'Gentlemen's Clubs' can set up there, however the ones that already exist are allowed to stay, but on very strict rules. I had no idea this was going on, even though I have lived in hackney for three years now. It was a pretty interesting article and you can read it here,

HACKNEY CITIZEN

Anyhow this made me want to go out and find the five most notorious and grimey strip bars around the hackney area, and basically turn it into a Gentlemen's Club Crawl, that Mr Henderson has hand picked himself. So today I have been out around the area photographing five clubs around the hackney area, that are all easily walkable from each other, which surprisingly isn't as hard as you would have thought. I then got the photos developed from some little shop in Leyton.

I wanted to keep the photos that I was taking on film rather than digital, to keep in context the sort of low quality, grime filled places they are, and that it was in keeping with the photos I am using of all the old pin up girls, which were all taken on film, as you can see by the quality of them. I also wanted to make it look like Mr Henderson had took them as he had stumbled out of them, I think that they portray this quality.

The photo above is of a club that claims to be the best strip bar in London, which I doubt it is. Its called Whites Gentlemen's Club, and is on Leman Street. As I have said before each one of them has some form of censorship over it, which is in the form of blacked out windows, I am wondering if I can wangle this blacked out them into the newspaper somewhere, the whole censorship theme is an interesting one. Anyhow, I am going to pick the best photos and edit them.