JONATHAN SEARY DEVELOPMENT


www.jonathanseary.com
message
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

2.09.2011

THE PULSE OF

I was thinking about the restrictions I have been given with the ASFS work and one of the main ones is that it has to take place somewhere within the CSM Southampton Row building. I was trying to think of ways to make the installation relevant to the space we have been given. After looking at the various works that have been inspiring me within the project so far, I started to think about the space being closed at the end of the 2011, and how it has been 115 years that CSM has been open in this particular spot, which threw all sorts of interesting ideas up in the air. One of which is looking at the heartbeat of the building, and making a piece of ambient sound that is 115 seconds long, or 1 minute and 55 seconds. This meant that every second that passed symbolised a year that the school had been there. then a heartbeat recording would be played for the whole duration and then every 3 seconds (symbolising every 3 years) a new heartbeat would be added, as if another year of students would join the school. These beats would then come and go but the main heartbeat of the building would always be there.

I then want to incorporate this idea of the heartbeat with the sort of thing that Bruce Nauman did with his 'days' work. This means I would assign each separate heart beat to a set of speakers, so when you walked past it your line of listening would zone into the specific heart beat, yet the other heartbeats would still be able to be heard just not quite as loud, I think this would make an interesting outcome, I now just have to construct this ambient sound, find a place to use the sound, set it all up and bobs your uncle. I am going to college in a bit to take some photos of possible spaces...