JONATHAN SEARY DEVELOPMENT


www.jonathanseary.com
message
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

2.15.2011

THE CORE OF LETHERBY

PhotobucketThe Idea I am going with for the 'A Space For Sound' brief is the 'The Core Of Lethaby'. The concept behind this is inspired by the building that many people are surrounded by currently and have been surrounded by in past years, this is the Lethaby Building on Southampton Row... Basically I wanted the use the space that was available to me, and started to think of ways to relate some concepts with the space. I Then realised after taking photos of various spaces that there was a sort of core to the building, in which everything else revolves around, this is the courtyard in the middle of the building, which has a dome within it which is the top of the gallery. I then though I could use the idea of a heartbeat or some form of sound which replicates the heart of the school. The sound would be played outside, which consequently means the listener would be inside the building so hearing it through the walls and windows. This idea is relating to the heart being in the body and hearing it from afar. The effect you would get as the sound was being made is a sort of coming and going, something that never stops, which I think is a comforting thing. After this initial concept, I was thinking of layering sounds so that the sound would last for 115 seconds (time the building has been there 115 years) and then every 3 seconds a new sound came in, which would symbolize people coming and going every three years. I think this is a strong concept, and look forward to carrying it out.