JONATHAN SEARY DEVELOPMENT


www.jonathanseary.com
message
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

3.09.2011

IKEA

PhotobucketLast weekend I took a trip to Ikea with my brother, as he was moving flat, I went by car and picked up a few things, including a full size double mattress, and bed-frame, it was quite an achievement to get it back to his new flat in one piece and in one trip, in a VW polo. It got me thinking about my new work, 'self made'... Ikea is a Swedish international home products company that designs and sells ready-to-assemble furniture, appliances and home accessories. It is a worldwide company, and the founder is 11th on the richest people in the world list (not that money is everything to go by in any stretch of the imagination but its pretty crazy never the less). However the company make these products and then flat-packs them down so that you then make them yourself at home. It is different to my idea in the way that they dont tell you how to make your own without the materials given but it is similar all the same. When I got back to the flat in one piece and started to make the bed, at the end you feel like you have achieved something, and your time has been well spent. This feeling I guess is why people take care about what they are making, as it has to be used in their own homes, all the time.