JONATHAN SEARY DEVELOPMENT


www.jonathanseary.com
message
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

4.10.2011

THE CONVERSATION SERIES - ROBERT CRUMB

PhotobucketToday I have been reading one of the many books in 'The Conversation Series' curated by Hans Ulrich Obrist. It was sitting on my kitchen table and belongs to Ariane. The series contains long interviews with different people every book. Robert Crumb was the interviewee this time round who's a cartoonist and illustrator... As random as it may have been picking it up and deciding to read it, it mentioned two points that I have been looking at within two pieces of work I am doing at the moment.

The first point I noticed was relevant to the new 'Modern Gentleman' work that I am doing at the moment. This point was that he (Crumb) was talking about comics and how hard it was to make a comic that was interesting, and interesting enough to want to read. I felt this was relevant to the newspaper that I am starting to piece together for the work, and basically making something that wasn't boring, but has interesting visuals and narrative within it.

The second point that I felt was relevant to the work I am doing for the 'Facility For Thought' work. Crumb was basically talking about the art world, and how it takes itself too seriously, which is something that is very hard to break into and be a part of as an outsider. He then mentions about how he doesn't like his work in museums as he feels his work needs to be in comics or print based to work on a level with people.

The design of the series of books is also done by M/M Paris, an amazing design company from France (as the name suggests).

Both very interesting reference points from Robert Crumb, and a very surprising but insightful read for the day. Hopefully now I can act upon it.