JONATHAN SEARY DEVELOPMENT


www.jonathanseary.com
message
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

2.17.2011

TESTING SOUND

PhotobucketI was at college today testing the levels of sound that you can hear when played through speakers which are directed into the courtyard. I had Henry with me to help with gauging what the sounds was like at different point in the building...

Firstly we went to the top floor and placed the speakers pointing out of a window, I then went over the other side of the courtyard. I had already set up a few sounds to play when testing, this ranged from loud noises of fire, heartbeats and deep bass sounds to see what worked best.

When I was over the other side of the courtyard Henry started the sounds, bearing in mind the speakers were on the top floor and so was I they weren't that loud, I could hear them but it wasn't overpowering, I then walked downstairs to see if I could hear them, again, the sound was there just not as prominently.

With this went to the third floor to do the same test again, to which it started to work a little better, with the sounds just as loud as the when you were stood next to the speaker, however we did notice that when you walked right down the corridor the sound rapidly started to disappear, however, this isn't the worst thing because this is what I had set out to do anyway, and with a louder speaker with better bass output I think it will work alot better.

The last floor we went to was the ground floor, at that point I went right back up to the top of the building and listened for the sound, and to my amazement it was the loudest noise that we had heard, which was interesting in the terms of travelling sound waves.

My plan for tomorrow is going to be following in the steps of the experiment we did, and basically put a set of speakers on the middle floor and a set of speakers on the bottom floor and then projects the sounds, again I dont really know how this is going to pan out but it should be interesting never the less.

Thanks to Henry who helped me today too. (as you can see the speakers we tested the sound through were tiny, so hopefully should work a lot better tomorrow.)

Photobucket

Photobucket